Contactless Rotary Joints for Data Transmission
Two trends are dominating industry: increasing digitization of machines and systems and automation of processes, in everything from production across logistics to packaging. In all of these situations, it is imperative to ensure maximum efficiency and prevent failures. Rapidly rotating machine parts, like those found in bottling and paper converting plants, pose special challenges. Dependable data transmission is also essential for enabling real-time control and regulation of these machines.
Unlike slip rings, contactless rotary joints from SPINNER also ensure reliable data transmission with large diameters and high data transmission rates. This can’t be achieved with slip rings, which are prone to micro-interruptions, especially with large clear internal diameters.
This is where the new SPINNER data transmission unit comes in: It now permits dependable transmission at clear internal diameters up to 100mm. Plus, the contactless roating interfaces are non-wearing and maintenance-free. The benefits are substantial cost savings, outstanding reliability and a long service life.
The contactless data channels, which are implemented with rotating capacitive couplers, have an even longer service life without requiring any maintenance. The supported real-time contactless Ethernet data types are proto- col-independent (using only OSI layer 1) and compatible with nearly all 100BASE-X-based industrial Fast Ethernet standards including 1000BASE-TX. The usable clear inside diameter is 100 mm.
- Auto negotiation with Ethernet-based protocols up to 1 Gbit/s, BER smaller than 1 x 10 -12
- Real-time transmission at 100 Mbit/s via one or two channels
- Usable protocols: Ethernet, Powerlink, Profinet A, B, C (IRT), EtherCat, CC-Link, Sercos III, Drivecliq
- Profibus and CAN available on request
- No Wi-Fi
- Operation in either direction at speeds up to 500 rpm with consistently high-quality transmission, immediately functional after power-up
- Maximum reliability and service life, thanks to maintenance-free operation without wear and tear
- No additional electric components needed for data transmission: “all-in-one” design
- Also available with integrated pancake slip ring for power supply